When more women achieve leadership positions, society’s understanding of what a good leader looks like will change. It is well recognized that a diversified leadership structure is both more effective and profitable. As students studying engineering at a top university, our graduates are sought out by many companies looking for fresh talent to add to their team. With the help of a generous donation from Mr. and Mrs. Brian and Sophie Leung, alumni of the university, WIE created this program to encourage our students to develop their skills and become leaders.
The Athena CORE10 is a critical new initiative by the Athena Center for Leadership Studies at Barnard College—a fresh look at the attributes that today’s leaders need to achieve, maintain, and maximize the impact of their positions.
“We are building a world where women obtaining and exercising power is both expected and commonplace”
Why are we committed to creating a bold new vision of leadership? It is simple: When more women are leaders, we change society’s understanding of what a leader looks like, how they operate and how they respond to social, political and economic needs. When more women are leaders — particularly when they are powerful, visionary and strategic ones — then communities and organizations are more innovative, productive and successful. When more women are leaders, we raise the aspirations of women and girls around the world.
How to Participate
- Students: WIE LEAD events and sign ups can be found in the Monthly WIE newsletters.
- Alumni: We are always seeking alumni to be our guest speakers at our monthly workshops. If you feel you have valuable information to share about one of our leadership topics, please fill out our Alumni Engagement Survey or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WIE will be publishing the details of the events on our Facebook page!
WIE Lead: Coffee and Cookies
This Spring 2019, WIE is hosting WIE Lead: Coffee and Cookies, a WIE program for faculty or alumni to come to campus, meet informally with students in engineering and share their experiences as women engineers. Our goal is to bring successful women in STEM to serve as role models to inspire and encourage current students in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champign’s Grainger College of Engineering. If you are an alumnae interested in sharing you experience with current students sign up here!
WIE Lead: Coffee and Cookies will take place from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the locations noted below.
- Jackie Letzter – September 9 – Illini Union 210
- Nerissa Draeger – September 23 – MSEB 305
- Vanessa Li – September 30 – MSEB 305
- Attendance at WIE Lead events can count towards the required leadership programs for the Campus Leadership Certificate. Please visit the Illinois Leadership Center website for more information on the requirements.