2017 WIE Orientation Mentors & Coordinators

Meet your Orientation Coordinators & Mentors! They are students who have attended WIE Orientation as freshmen, and are excited to be back as leaders to answer all of your questions about UIUC! You will have plenty of time to talk with them at Orientation, but for now, you can join our Facebook group to start asking questions and getting advice from them!

Coordinators

Name: Elizabeth Sanders

Year: Senior

Major: Chemical Engineering

Hi! I am Elizabeth and I am very excited to be one of your coordinators for WIE orientation! Outside of my academics, I am an Engineering Learning Assistant for the ENG 100 program, the creative chair on the social committee for the Society of Women Engineers. In my free time I make music with friends, love going to concerts, and scout out dogs to pet on the quad. I love WIE orientation because it gives all of you a great opportunity to meet friends before college even starts – I met my best friend at WIE camp! I am looking forward to meeting all of you this summer! 🙂

Name: Siobhan Fox

Year: Junior

Major: Systems Engineering & Design

Siobhan Fox is a Junior pursing a bachelors degree Systems Engineering and Design and an International Minor in Engineering. When she is not at the library, Siobhan can be found trying all of the different coffee blends at Espresso Royale, volunteering at a local multicultural center, or traveling the world. Some of the student organisations she has been involved with are Engineers Without Borders, the American Nuclear Society, and the sorority Alpha Epsilon Phi. She is very excited to be planning WIE orientation for this upcoming fall, and cannot wait to meet all of the amazing ladies starting this new chapter in their lives.

Mentors

Name: Jackie Letzter

Year: Senior

Major: Chemical Engineering

Jackie is the Recruitment Director in the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and the Head Engineering Learning Assistant for the ENG 100 program. She loves WIE orientation because it is such a great opportunity for freshmen to get acclimated to campus before classes start and meet some new friends! Jackie hopes to enter manufacturing when she graduates and work on making processes more sustainable, affordable, and safe for workers.

Name: Rachel Berg

Year: Junior

Major: Industrial Engineering

Hi, my name is Rachel and I’m excited to be a WIE Orientation mentor this year! I attended the program when I was a freshman and made some of the best friends that I still have today. I am the secretary for Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers and work for a startup non-profit organization on campus during my free time. I am looking forward to meeting the Class of 2021!

Name: Kea Evans

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

My name is Kea Evans, and I will be a 5th year (victory lap!) in Mechanical Engineering this upcoming fall. This will be my 4th year mentoring for WIE! Outside of WIE, I have been involved in American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME) as Treasurer and External VP as well as Women in MechSE (WiM) as the co-founder and President. I have worked for Caterpillar as a design engineer in the Parallel Co-Op Student through the Champaign Simulation Center since May of 2014. Being from a small farming community, WIE gave me the opportunity to meet friends, learn campus, and an incredible network of mentors and friends. WIE now has given me the opportunity to give back to others as well as share my experiences.

Name: Hanna Parker

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Science

I’m a junior in Computer Science from the Chicago Suburbs. I love chocolate, the show the Office, traveling, and hiking. I was a WIE Mentor last year and had such a blast so I’m really looking forward to next year.

Name: Jessica Lothridge

Year: Junior

Major: Biongineering

I am a junior in Bioengineering here at U of I and so far I am loving it! I had a great experience at WIE Orientation as an incoming freshman and I can’t wait to share everything I have learned this year too. My involvement with WIE has helped me meet many great people and learn more about women as leaders. I am also involved in Biomedical Engineering Society, which is a great way to meet people in your major. I will also be studying abroad next semester, which I’m really excited about!

Name: Morgan Scholtes

Year: Sophomore

Major: Bioengineering

My name is Morgan and I am a sophomore in Bioengineering.   I attended WIE Orientation last year and I made some of my best friends there!  It was a great experience and I’m so glad that I did it.  On campus, I participate with the Illinois Leadership Center a lot, and I work as a CARE tutor. I also am a member of the Biomedical Engineering Society, the Society of Women Engineers, and Alpha Omega Epsilon (an Engineering Professional and Social Sorority).

Name: Katie Carroll

Year: Junior

Major: Aerospace Engineering

Hello! My name is Katie Carroll, and I am a junior studying Aerospace Engineering. This will be my second year as a WIE Orientation mentor, and I couldn’t be more excited to meet the incoming Class of 2021! A little bit about myself: outside of class, I am very involved with Women in Aerospace and the Illinois Space Society here on campus. I also will be an Engineering Learning Assistant for ENG 100 next year, and work as a CARE tutor as well. In my abundant free time, I really enjoy playing chess and other board games, hiking, playing various instruments, and drinking lots of coffee. I can’t wait to meet everyone in August!

Name: Anusha Kandula

Year: Sophomore

Major: Computer Engineering

My name is Anusha and I am a Sophomore in Computer Engineering. I am originally from India but I have lived in Dubai my entire life. I learnt a lot coming here to Illinois and it has been a wonderful experience up till now. The first program I attended when I first came to U of I was the WIE Orientation and it definitely made me feel so much more comfortable on campus and that is why I love this program! A fun fact about myself is that I joined university a year younger so I will be turning 18 just before Sophomore year!

Name: Katy Walters

Year: Junior

Major: Chemical Engineering

Hello! My name is Katy Walters and I am a junior in chemical engineering. I attended WIE Orientation both as a freshman and last year as a mentor. Both experiences were wonderful so of course I had to come back this year! On campus I am the Professional Liaison Director for the Society of Women Engineers. I look forward to meeting you all and welcoming you to campus in August!

Name: Angela Wiscons

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

My name is Angela Wiscons, and I’m going to be a Senior in Mechanical Engineering this coming Fall. On campus, I am involved in ASME, Women in MechSE, and Rube Goldberg Society. I love to 3D-model and have interned at two companies during the summers in-between semesters. I really enjoy WIE and all the services and events it provides to females in the College of Engineering. I believe U of I Engineering has fantastic camaraderie, and the support I find from my fellow MechE’s makes me happy to do what I do every day. I am excited for you all to find some great friends amongst the women here at WIE camp!

Name: Michelle Rentauskas

Year: Sophomore

Major: Electrical Engineering

I am a sophomore here at UIUC studying electrical engineering. I love to stay busy on campus with my RSOs as a chair member of SWE, executive member of Women of Pride, and general member of IEEE, along with participating in undergraduate research in power and energy. I am extremely interested in renewable energy, and I am hoping to pursue graduate school and post-doctoral studies in order to reach my overall career goal of becoming a professor. I love WIE Orientation because I met practically all the girls in my major when I attended, and always consult them for study groups and homework.

Name: Jennifer Luebbers

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

I am Jennifer Luebbers. This year I am going into my super senior year of Mechanical Engineering. I love robotics, roller coasters, and all things Disney and Harry Potter. I have studied abroad in Hangzhou, China, interned at Walt Disney World, and currently intern at Caterpillar. WIE Orientation is one of the greatest events I have participated in as a freshman and even now as a mentor. No matter what age, you always meet new friends!

Name: Isabella Iaccino

Year: Sophomore

Major: Nuclear, Plasma and Radiological Engineering

Hello! My name is Isabella and I am a sophomore in Nuclear Plasma and Radiological Engineering, and I am getting my minor in Physics. I am an active member of the American Nuclear Society and will be the Outreach Chair for this upcoming year. I also am a member of the Society of Women Engineers and I do volunteer research at the Nuclear Radiation Lab. In my spare time I enjoy working out, reading, and playing card games or board games with my friends. I loved WIE orientation last year and I can’t wait to welcome you guys in August!

Name: Megan Fox

Year: Junior

Major: Civil Engineering

Hello! I’m Megan and I’m a Junior in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I am the outreach director for the Society of Women Engineers and VP of the Water Environment Federation-American Water Works Association. I also am on the Illinois Synchronized Swimming team and volunteer with Habitat for Humanity. I also enjoy being outdoors and hiking.

Name: Ashley Drake

Year: Sophomore

Major: Computer Science

Hi! My name is Ashley, and I am a sophomore in computer science from Algonquin, Illinois. Last year, I lived at FAR in the WIMSE learning community. Fun fact about me – I am a third generation Illini! Outside of class, I am mainly involved with the engineering sorority Alpha Omega Epsilon and Student Alumni Ambassadors here on campus. I love Engineering at Illinois because of all of the interesting people I have met and the unique opportunities I have been able to experience. I am so excited for WIE Orientation, and I hope you are too!

Name: Devon Goszkowicz

Year: Senior

Major: Material Science & Engineering

Hi everyone! My name is Devon and I am a senior studying Materials Science and Engineering with a minor in Linguistics. This summer, I was an intern at Sandia National Laboratory in Albuquerque, New Mexico in the Advanced Materials Lab! On campus, I am heavily involved in MakerGirl, a startup company that teaches young girls to 3D print and get more involved in STEAM. I also am in She’s The First, which raises money to send girls in low income countries to high school, and I work throughout the year on various STEM outreach projects. In my free time, I love to travel, read, and swim!

Name: Jenny Marten

Year: Junior

Major: Agricultural & Biological Engineering

Hi! My name is Jenny Marten and I am a junior in Agricultural and Biological Engineering. My concentration is renewable energy because I am a total dork for wind turbines and biofuel; plus I just love the environment, which is also why I am pursuing a minor in Environmental Economics and Law. On campus I’m part of Society of Women Engineers, Rube Goldberg Society and the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. As a freshman, I attended WIE Orientation and it really set my freshman year off to a great start, since then I’ve been a mentor to hopefully help other freshmen create a great experience like I had.

Name: Megan Walsh

Year: Sophomore

Major: Computer Engineering

My name is Megan, I am from Crystal Lake, Illinois, and I love WIE orientation because it’s the perfect time to meet new people with your similar interests & to learn all about what is to come once classes begin! During my freshman year, I made some great new friends (several of them from WIE Orientation), participated in 4 different intramural sports, & tried to take advantage of everything UIUC has to offer. In my spare time, I love to play soccer or volleyball with my friends, to cheer on the Fighting Illini at our sporting events, or to go to concerts at the Canopy Club or the State Farm Center.

Name: Katherine Kiang

Year: Senior

Major: Bioengineering

Hello! My name is Katherine, and I am a senior studying bioengineering. I am super excited to be one of this years WIE Orientation mentors. Three years ago I was sitting in your shoes, about to embark on my college journey. Since then I’ve gotten involved in everything from research to consulting to STEM outreach through the Society of Women Engineers and Biomedical Engineering Society. I was also a part of Innovation Living Learning Community, which allowed me to go on a trip to meet Silicon Valley CEOs. This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to intern at a pharmaceutical company. Outside of class and extracurriculars I work to discover the best gluten free food in the Champaign Urbana area and enjoy spending time with friends. I can’t wait to meet you all and help make sure you have the best WIE Orientation possible.

Name: Kelsey Huang

Year: Sophomore

Major: Engineering Physics

Hi, I’m Kelsey a Sophomore majoring in engineering physics. I attended WIE orientation last year, had a great time, and made some of my closest friends there. On campus I am a member of the Society of Women Engineers, and am doing research in biophysics. I’m really looking forward to meeting and getting to know all of you!

Name: Samantha DeMarco

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Samantha is entering her final semester in Mechanical Engineering. She was a member of the Engineering Council Exec Board for 2016-2017 as the Engineering Information Bureau Director. She has been involved with the EIB committee since her freshman year. With the committee she has helped recruit prospective high school students to the COE. Does she look familiar?! Say hi! She loves meeting students again that have participated in the events hosted by EIB. Samantha has also studied abroad for a semester in Valencia, Spain and held a Co-op position for a semester. Feel free to reach out to her with any questions regarding these topics as she is very enthusiastic about encouraging others to do the same! In her free time, Samantha enjoys spending time with her sorority sisters, adventuring about campus and Urbana-Champaign, and watching movie trailers.

Name: Carolyn Nye

Year: Junior

Major: Electrical Engineering

Hello! My name is Carolyn Nye and I am a junior majoring in Electrical Engineering and minoring in Computer Science. My time at the University of Illinois has been a great experience so far and I have learned so many things in the classroom and as a person. In addition to my studies, I am a pole vaulter on the University of Illinois Women’s Track and Field team. I also work as an I-STAR and ESTAR (tour guide) for the University of Illinois and am involved in Women in Electrical and Computer Engineering (WECE) activities. The Women in Engineering Freshman Orientation helped me meet some of the wonderful women in my engineering classes and helped me feel confident going into my first year of college. I hope you all have a great experience too!

Name: Kellie Halloran

Year: Sophomore

Major: Mechanical Engineering

I’m a sophomore in Mechanical Engineering. I’m involved in SWE (Society of Women Engineers) and ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) and also in Young Life, a student ministry! I’ve also been involved in intramural sports at U of I, playing on an Extreme Dodgeball team last fall. I love Engineering at Illinois because I can work on and design projects in a collaborative and creative environment.

Name: Annie Thomas

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Engineering

Hi everyone! I’m going to be a junior in Computer Engineering with a minor in Technology and Management. This will be my third summer at WIE Orientation and my second as a mentor – and I’ve loved every one! Outside of class I’m an Engineering Learning Assistant for ENG 100, a course assistant for ECE 110, and am involved in iRobotics and Society of Women Engineers. This summer, I’m working for Microsoft in Seattle. I can’t wait to meet you all in August!

Name: Alexa Yeo

Year: Sophomore

Major: Civil Engineering

Hi, I’m Alexa and I’m a sophomore in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I enjoyed attending orientation last year as a freshman as it was a great introduction to campus and the College of Engineering as well as a great way to meet other people in my major. On campus, I’m involved with Society of Women Engineers and have also been involved with Engineers Without Borders. I love traveling and hope to study abroad during spring semester. I’m excited to meet you all at WIE Orientation and I hope you enjoy being a part of Engineering at Illinois!

Name: Christina Mardyla

Year: Senior

Major: Chemical Engineering

Hi! My name is Christina, and I’m going to be a senior in chemical engineering. I am also minoring in computer science. This summer, I am working at Dow Chemical in Midland, Michigan, as an information research intern.  I’m really excited to have an internship that combines both my major and minor! On campus, I’m on the officer board for the American Institute of Chemical Engineers as ChemE Car chair. In my free time, I like to read (I’m a huge Harry Potter fan!), knit and crochet, and tutor high school students in the community. I’m excited to be a WIE mentor this year and I can’t wait to meet all of you in August!

Name: Dhun Patel

Year: Sophomore

Major: Civil Engineering

Hi everyone! My name is Dhun (pronounced like sand-DUNE) and I am going to be a sophomore in Civil and Environmental Engineering. I am involved with Illinithon, Biodiesel Club, Engineers Without Borders, and I am also a member of Pi Beta Phi. In my spare time, I love to play volleyball or badminton with my friends or just hang out on the quad! I had a lot of fun attending the orientation as a freshman because I found so many of my close friends then! I’m super excited to be a WIE mentor and can’t wait to meet everyone in August!

Name: Shannon Strum

Year: Senior

Major: Computer Science

Hi! My name is Shannon and I’m a rising senior in Computer Science. On campus I’m involved in Women in Computer Science and have also worked for the Office of Privacy and Information Security. I taught a course at CS SAIL on information assurance and another one on cats, and am also going to be teaching an Engineering 100 section. This summer, I’ll be working for Bank of America as a Global Information Security intern. In my free time, I like to tap dance, knit sweaters for my cat, drink way too much coffee, and write. I can’t wait to meet you all!

Name: Shukan Shah

Year: Junior

Major: Materials Science & Engineering

Hi everyone! My name’s Shukan and I am a junior studying Materials Science and Engineering with a concentration in polymers. Here on campus, I am a member of the Indian Student Association and I work as an IT Consultant for the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics. WIE Orientation was one of my first introductions to U of I, and I can’t wait for you guys to experience this beautiful campus in the same way. I look forward to meeting you all very soon!

Name: Diana Slater

Year: Sophomore

Major: Bioengineering

Hi, my name is Diana, and I am a sophomore in Bioengineering. I am involved in the Biomedical Engineering Society and Catholic Illini. If I’m not studying, you can find me playing soccer or some other intramurals. I love to travel, and I am planning to study abroad next semester in Spain. WIE Orientation is so fun! It is a great opportunity to meet awesome people and make lasting relationships. It made the transition to a big university so much easier. I learned what to expect and how to get around. I am so excited to meet you, and I hope you have a great time!

Name: Devashri Nagarkar

Year: Junior

Major: Computer Science

I am a junior in CS minoring in Statistics and Technology and Management. I love WIE Orientation! On the first day, I met my best friend (now roommate) and so many other great students and staff- everyone is looking out to help you and make college a great experience! I am involved in Society of Women Engineers, Women in Computer Science, OTCR (consulting), and have done HackIllinois, CS@ILLINOIS Sail, and ACM in the past. This summer I worked at Microsoft and in the past have worked at Argonne National Laboratory and Northwestern Mutual. I love answering any questions you might have and eating Chipotle, so if you ever need anything feel free to reach out to me!

Name: Julia Francesca Santos

Year: Sophomore

Major: Systems Engineering & Design

Hi! I’m Julia Francesca Santos, an SED major at UIUC. I’m involved in Greek life as a member of IL Zeta Pi Beta Phi, IlliniThon (fundraising money for our local pediatric hospital), Engineering Council Service Committee, and IISE (and ISGE) for Industrial and Systems Engineers. WIE Orientation helped me find a group of girls to always reach out to when going through the trials of freshman year, and I can’t wait to help others feel welcome to an amazing second-home in Champaign.

Name: Varshini Kadadevarmath

Year: Junior

Major: Bioengineering

Hey there! My name is Varshini and I will be a junior in Bioengineering, also pursuing an ECE minor. Aside from my academics, I love to perform with my A Cappella group, paint in my free time, and sleep on the Quad on a sunny day. I have also been a part of the research going on at Carle Mills Breast Cancer Institute since the end of my freshman year. Fun fact: My name means “rain,” so I’m all about dancing in the rain.

Name: Kate MacDuff

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hello and welcome!! My name is Kate MacDuff and I am a senior in Mechanical Engineering at U of I. This past summer I interned for 3M in Minneapolis but I also interned for Asahi Kasei Bioprocess, Inc. the two previous summers. In my free time, I enjoy playing on the Illini Women’s Water Polo team, participating in Baja, SWE, and Chi Omega. I love to travel and studied abroad in Pisa, Italy! Overall, I love to have fun and I LOVE this camp and I can’t wait for you girls to experience it with us!!

Name: Sara Legg

Year: Junior

Major: Aerospace Engineering

Hello 🙂 My name is Sara Legg and I am a junior studying aerospace engineering and pursuing a technology and management minor. I am super excited to be a WIE Orientation mentor this year! This past summer I interned at Northrop Grumman in their Mechanical Design and Optics section and my freshman summer I interned at GE Aviation’s Air Management Systems, working with the mechanical engineering design team. On campus, I am part of the Illinois Space Society as well as an engineering sorority called Alpha Omega Epsilon. I was born in Spain and often visit. I speak Spanish and I love learning new languages. My current language I am working on learning is Chinese. I participated in WIE Orientation as a freshman and I honestly met my best friends through it. It is an amazing opportunity to get to explore campus before school starts and a great way to meet a lot of other girls that will be in a lot of your classes. Trust me, it is a ton of fun 🙂

Name: Tess Marsh

Year: Senior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hi everyone! My name is Tess and I will be a senior in mechanical engineering this fall. I attended WIE orientation as a freshman and I liked it so much that I decided to come back and be a mentor for the past two years, and I am ecstatic to be back yet again this year! On campus, I am a part of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the MechSE Advancement Student Committee, Women in MechSE, and I will be an Engineering Learning Assistant for ENG 100 in the fall. I also studied abroad during spring semester of my sophomore year so if you have any questions about studying abroad or traveling in general I would be happy to answer! This summer, I am interning at Caterpillar and doing a lot of design work. When I’m not studying or in a meeting for one of my RSOs, I love to play the violin, read, and go on runs in the arboretum just south of campus! I am looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Name: Delanie Steinweg

Year: Junior

Major: Chemical Engineering

Hi, I’m so excited to be a WIE orientation mentor this year! I attended orientation freshman year, and it was a great first experience on campus! Outside of WIE, I am actively involved in LAS Leaders and the engineering sorority Alpha Omega Epsilon. In my free time, I enjoy bowling and nights spent relaxing with my friends. I have met a lot of great people through Engineering at Illinois, and I can’t wait to welcome the new class to campus!

Name: Jessica Silva

Year: Sophomore

Major: Civil Engineering

Hi! My name is Jessica, but I preferred to be called Jessi. I will be a sophomore majoring in Civil Engineering in the fall. I am also a member of the Philippine Student Association and Steel Bridge Team. WIE Orientation helped me meet girls in my major and get comfortable in UIUC. It is a great experience because I was able to socialize and have connections throughout the school year! I love Engineering at Illinois because I always get the sources I need to succeed in classes such as tutoring at Grainger Library. I love being here at UIUC and I hope you guys will too!

Name: Maya D’Souza

Year: Junior

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hi, my name is Maya and I am a rising junior in Mechanical Engineering. On campus, I am involved with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Women in MechSE, the MechSE Undergraduate Advisory Board, and Alpha Omega Epsilon. Last summer I worked for the Motor Grader Configuration Department in Decatur, IL and this summer, I will be working for Whirlpool in Benton Harbor, MI. I love Engineering at Illinois because there are so many diverse opportunities here that there is really something for everyone and there is a lovely community that I have become a part of that is always there for one other and willing to support everyone. I think that WIE Orientation is a great way to become introduced to Engineering at Illinois and become a part of this community, and I hope you think so too!

Name: Shachi Solanki

Year: Sophomore

Major: Computer Science

Hi! My name is Shachi, and I’m going to be a sophomore majoring in Computer Science. This summer I am working as a teaching assistant for the Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program. I attended WIE orientation last year as an incoming freshman and loved it! I met some truly remarkable girls and had so much fun! I’m super excited to meet all of you! Feel free to reach out with any and all questions you may have.

Name: Ashley Roberts

Year: Senior

Major: Bio Engineering

Hello! My name is Ashley Roberts and I will be a senior in Bioengineering in the fall. I am involved in the Society of Women Engineers and the Biomedical Engineering Society, and I used to be involved in Greek Life. I also volunteer at Presence Hospital and I have a part-time job on campus. This summer I had an internship at the Jump Trading Simulation & Education Center in Peoria, IL and I absolutely loved it! I also love food, sports, and anything Disney. I have been both a mentor and a participant in WIE Orientation, and I am really excited to meet all of you!

CookieSettings CookieSettings